Call for Abstracts
SLAS invites research scientists, engineers, academics and business leaders to submit abstracts for presentation at the 2018 SLAS International Conference and Exhibition, Feb. 3-7, 2018, in San Diego, CA, USA .
SLAS is a global community of more than 20,000 life sciences professionals—from academia, government and industry—collectively focused on leveraging the power of technology to achieve scientific objectives. Showcase your research on this global stage by presenting at SLAS2018.
Abstract submissions from academia, government and industry are welcome. Contributions from graduate students, post-doctoral associates and junior faculty are encouraged.
SLAS member and non-members are invited to submit abstracts.
Podium Abstract Submissions Due:
Monday, August 7, 2017
Tony B. Academic Travel Award Podium Submissions Due:
Monday, August 7, 2017
Tony B. Academic Travel Award Poster Submissions Due:
Monday, September 25, 2017
Podium Abstract Decisions Communicated:
By October 2, 2017
Poster Abstract Submissions Due:
Monday, October 30, 2017
(Deadline for inclusion in Student Poster Competition)
Monday, January 22, 2018
(Final Poster Abstract Submission Deadline)
Poster Abstract Decisions Communicated:
Beginning October 23, 2017
**Reference your submission confirmation for precise communication schedule
SLAS2018 Educational Tracks
The SLAS2018 scientific program features ten educational tracks:
- Advances in Bioanalytics and Biomarkers
- Assay Development and Screening
- Automation and High-Throughput Technologies
- Biologics Discovery
- Cellular Technologies
- Chemical Biology
- Data Analysis and Informatics
- Drug Target Strategies
- High-Definition Biotechnology
- Micro- and Nanotechnologies
For complete details regarding planned podium sessions for each track, click here.
If you cannot find your particular topic of interest listed in the detailed track descriptions or preliminary session titles within each track, but wish to report on research related to one of the broad track themes, we encourage you to submit your abstract for consideration by the SLAS2018 Scientific Program Committee.
SLAS Innovation Award
The SLAS Innovation Award is a $10,000 cash prize recognizing the extraordinary work behind that one unique and special podium presentation at the SLAS International Conference. Click here for complete details on the SLAS Innovation Award.
SLAS Tony B. Academic Travel Awards Program
Tony B. Academic Travel Awards include airfare or mileage reimbursement, conference registration and shared accommodations. Students, graduate students, postdoctoral associates, and junior faculty are encouraged to apply. Click here for complete details on the Tony B. Academic Travel Award program.
SLAS2018 Abstract Submission Requirements
To simplify your submission process, please have all of your materials together prior to entering your abstract. You will be able to view screen shots of each step in the abstract process by using the 'Guidelines' section of the submission site.
To submit, you will need the following:
- Abstract Title
- Abstract text (450 word limit)
- Presentation Preference: Podium, Poster or Either (if applicable)
- Identify applicable track (preference only)
- Primary Presenter details (one per abstract); Name, Job Title, Organization, Address, City, State, Postal Code, Country, Email, Business Phone, Biography
- Award Nominations (if applicable)
- Identify Co-Authors; Name, Job Title, Organization, City, State, Country, Email
- Abstracts relevant to any of the SLAS2018 tracks are requested and will be reviewed by the SLAS2018 Scientific Program Committee. To view a complete list and brief description of all SLAS2018 tracks, please click here.
- Authors are invited to submit abstracts describing original research on topics relevant to any of the seven program tracks for either poster or podium presentation. Abstracts should describe work not previously the subject of a podium presentation, and address why the work is novel. Importantly, the abstract should clearly present the research itself and results that have been obtained. Abstracts will be assessed according to the novelty of the work, with an emphasis to abstracts that clearly detail results.
- Podium presentations are 30 minutes in length including questions and answers.
- Poster presentations are scheduled for a 2-hour time slot as noted on the Poster Presentation Guidelines webpage.
- Note regarding the $10,000 SLAS Innovation Award: The SLAS Innovation Award judging process is extensive and requires the panel of judges review and evaluate hundreds of scientific abstract submissions. To ensure your abstract receives optimal consideration, please include information on methods, results and conclusions.
- The Primary Presenter will serve as the primary contact for SLAS and must have a valid email address.
- All abstracts must be submitted electronically via this online abstract submission system.
- The body of the abstract may not exceed 450 words.
- The title is considered separate from the body of the abstract and is not included in the word limit. Specific formatting requirements are included on the submission form.
- It is suggested that you first develop your abstract in a word processing program then copy and paste the information in the appropriate section. There is no spell or grammar check function in the online submission process. Please do not use all capital letters in your abstract or title.
- If accepted, your abstract will be published EXACTLY as it has been entered into the system. This includes company names, presenter names, etc... Submissions will not be edited in any way prior to publishing in conference materials.
- Fields denoted with asterisks (*) are required fields.
- To learn more about the various SLAS Awards presented at the conference and learn if you are eligible to apply, please visit the following links:
- At the close of the applicable submission period, all abstracts will be reviewed by the SLAS2018 Scientific Program Committee to determine which abstracts are accepted into the program. The SLAS2018 Scientific Program Committee reserves the right to accept abstracts into tracks other than the one selected by the submitter during the submission process.
- Those submitted as podium abstracts but not accepted for the podium program will be reviewed for a poster submission if indicated as such by the submitter during the submission process.
- Podium presentation confirmations will be distributed by early-October, 2017.
To view a sample abstract, which adheres to these guidelines, please click here.
Abstract Acceptance and Notification:
- A member of the SLAS Professional Team will contact all selected abstract submitters with information regarding scheduling, speaker agreements, and the Speaker Resource Center. Speakers agree to use the Speaker Resource Center as the primary source for communicating speaker information.
- It is expected all speakers will adhere to policies and deadlines established to ensure accurate and timely information to SLAS members.
- Primary Presenters are responsible for communicating with co-authors regarding acceptance or rejection, deadlines and all other submission details.
- Whenever possible SLAS will record presentations and make those recordings available to members and participants. In some cases, webcasting or streaming of sessions may be offered as well. All speakers will be required to provide SLAS with the permission to record, broadcast, edit, transcribe, archive, duplicate, distribute, reproduce and sell any written or visual material submitted in connection with presentations at this SLAS conference in any media now existing or developed in the future.
- SLAS presenters are required to electronically agree to the speaker guidelines and releases using the button below.
- Accepted poster presentations will be required to physically present the poster during a two-hour time slot as indicated in the acceptance notification.
- Presentation confirmations will be distributed according to the approximate timeline below:
- Podium Presentation Confirmation: By October, 2, 2017
- Tony B. Application Confirmations: mid-October, 2017
- Poster Presentation Confirmations: Beginning October 23, 2017 on a monthly basis through January 22, 2018
Selected speakers must agree to the following:
Unless specifically designated, the SLAS scientific program is a noncommercial forum. Speakers are to refrain from the use of brand names and specific product endorsement whenever possible. Under no circumstances should the society's podium be used as a place for direct promotion of a speaker's product, service, or for monetary self-interest. Negative remarks about a particular company or brand are also not appropriate.
All authors understand that the presentation title, abstract, bio and author information will be published online at SLAS2018.org and in the SLAS2018 Conference App, Event Scheduler, ePoster Gallery and Abstract Compendium. SLAS reserves the right to edit title and description for promotional purposes.
To improve the transition between individual speakers, SLAS has instituted a policy requiring that all audio visual be limited to PowerPoint presentations. Presenters are permitted to supply handouts at the session; however, SLAS will not duplicate such material and all costs associated with those handouts are the responsibility of the presenter. SLAS does ask that all podium presenters drop their presentation off at the Speaker Ready Room onsite at SLAS2018 as per details included in the official confirmation. Laptops are provided in the presentation rooms and SLAS asks that all presenters use those laptops rather than providing their own.
SLAS values the diversity of its membership and the contributions each member makes to the education of its members. SLAS will not tolerate comments of a sexual nature nor negative remarks about ethnicity, alternative lifestyles, or physically or mentally challenged individuals. Profanity is prohibited. Speakers must refrain from overt statements or pointed humor that disparages the rightful dignity and social equity of any individual or group.
Those authors whose abstracts are accepted are responsible for their own travel, lodging and conference registration expenses. Waiver of registration fees will be considered upon request for those requiring financial assistance. Details regarding registration waivers will be available with the Speaker Resource Center upon confirmation of acceptance.
All presenters must be registered as full conference participants. Limited funds may be available to assist with travel and/or hotel funding. These funds are based on availability and financial need. Contact Amy Wilkinson at email@example.com for more information.
All poster presenters must be registered as full conference, unless you are registered as an SLAS exhibitor.